Akum Agency partnered with Azgo Festival as its Festival Coordinator from 2014 to 2017.
As Festival Coordinator, Jess was responsible for all aspects of the festival from artist programming, marketing, production, site management and finance. Under his coordination, over this four year period Azgo made big steps in sustainability with growth in sponsorship and ticketing income, production and logistics becoming Mozambique’s finest international arts festival.
Azgo Festival is Mozambique’s finest international arts festival; bringing together a diverse and quality program of music, film, and dance to the city of Maputo across two days and nights. Azgo is a contemporary celebration of arts and culture, with a strong focus on artists from Mozambique and from around the continent of Africa.
The festival serves as a platform for emerging and acclaimed artists to collaborate and meet a new audience. The name “Azgo” is old slang from Maputo to say “let´s go”, let’s revisit our cultures and heritage, “let´s go” promote cultural diversity, “let’s go” promote the arts and culture, Let´s Go…
Azgo Festival Objectives
• Contribute to the artistic and cultural development and to a greater awareness regarding cultural issues in Mozambique and Southern Africa;
• Bring together different crowds and different artists, emerging and well-known and various genres;
• Promote Mozambican cultural heritage and artistic life, position Mozambique as a destination for music lovers;
• Provide opportunities for professionalization in the music industry, to involve local communities and create jobs;
• Create a platform to promote music exchanges between local and international artists, establishing a network with music events and initiatives in Southern Africa, on the continent and overseas.
Azgo Festival Partnerships
Azgo Festival is part of the African Music Festival Network (AMFN) and a founding member of the Igoda, which encompasses, DOADOA (Uganda), BAMFestival (South Africa), Bushfire Festival (Swaziland), Zakifo (South Africa) and Sakifo (Reunion Island). In addition to the festival, Jess Coordinated Azgo Dialogar.
In addition to our diverse music, film and dance program, Azgo hosts a dialogue and workshop program: focusing on arts and cultural management at the School of Communication & Arts (ECA) and Eduardo Mondlane University (UEM).
Azgo Dialogar runs workshops with international and national artists, managers and event producers. These workshops are a platform for; artistic and cultural development, music exchange between local and international artists, promotion of Mozambican cultural heritage and artistic life, and opportunities for the professionalisation of the music industry in Mozambique.
Festival Azgo 2016 (Vídeo oficial)
Festival Azgo 2015 (Vídeo Oficial)
AZGO Festival 2014 (Vídeo Oficial)